A student qualifies as an independent if they are over the age of 24, or if they have children, are married, homeless, adopted, or have been in foster care when they were 13 or above. A student qualifies as a dependent if they are under 24 and don’t qualify with one of the above scenarios.
Articles in this section
- Does Frank create FSA IDs for students? How do students sign their FAFSAs on Frank?
- How does adding schools work on Frank?
- How is the aid estimate at the beginning of the Frank’s application calculated?
- How does Frank’s integration with the Common App work?
- What is the difference between independent and dependent?
- What type of tax return does Frank’s FAFSA require?
- What if I am homeless or at risk of being homeless?
- What if I am unable to provide parental information?
- Can I make corrections to my FAFSA?
- Who is considered a parent?